My teaching has taken me into the classical and opera world, the music industry and recording studio, universities, schools (also heading school music and drama departments), colleges of further education, choirs and opera choruses, professional theatre, and synagogues. I have helped well-established professional singers, singing teachers, chazzanim and cantors (see more), speech and language therapists, music students, undergrads and postgrads (e.g. currently from Oxford Uni, Oxford Brookes, and Manchester Uni), and recording artists and been a main presenter for the British Voice Association and keynote speaker for the International Association of Voice Movement Therapists.
“one of the best-known singing teachers based in Oxford. Anyone who uses their voice would benefit from a session with Alexander” Hugh Vickers, music critic for the Independent, Oxford Times feature article.
“I’ve always felt that with you, I’m in a safe pair of hands. You have a really detailed physical knowledge of the voice, understand the psychology involved in developing as a singer.” Undergraduate, Manchester University
My songs have been published, and are used by other singers and choirs, and in the last few years I have increasingly coached songwriters on lyric writing and all the music composition elements in songwriting.
Over the years, at different times, I have been an active member of …
- British Voice Association (BVA)
- Association of Teachers of Singing (AOTOS)
- Natural Voice Practitioners Network (NVPN)
… and I contribute articles to the AOTOS, NVPN discussion group, and the Singing Teachers / Coaches network on LinkedIn.
I also have worked for many years coaching individuals and groups on communication, relationships and personal development (e.g. Guild of Pastoral Psychology, Oxford Psychotherapy Society, London Underground, HBOS, GlaxoSmithKline, Oxford University, Unilever, Age Concern). You can find out more about this side of my work at www.AuthenticVoice.co.uk.
As a professional singer (and multi-instrumentalist), I have worked across the musical spectrum – in the classical world (e.g. solo oratorio work, Opéra de Lyon chorus work, opera roles such as Don Ottavio, Peter Quint & Pinkerton, recitals with David Roth from the Allegri Quartet, international professional choirs), jazz (Philip Clouts), folk (e.g Guernsey International Festival of Folk and Blues) and world music (e.g. At-Ma). I have been the featured performer (of an evening of my own songs) for the International Jewish-Christian Bible Week.
“Alexander Massey was excellent” The Independent
“consistently thoughtful and light of touch” Oxford Times
“Eloquent … Alexander Massey projected a honeyed tenor line” Gloucestershire Echo
Creativity, curiosity and community involvement play large parts in my life. The following links will give a bit more of background:
- www.AuthenticVoice.co.uk – voice and communication skills trainer and coach; writer on voice, communication, psychology and learning; entrepreneur, and entrepreneur coach; keynote speaker, actor, singer and voiceover artist. “Live, work and communicate authentically.”
- www.Tacpac.co.uk – fun learning disability resources and training using touch and music for communication; an international business working with people with special needs, that I set up with my wife Hilary Wainer many years ago
- https://uk.linkedin.com/in/alexandermassey – my LinkedIn profile, including a summary of much of my work and interests, including those as an educational research, and published writer and editor on qualitative research methodology
- www.AlexanderMassey.com – teacher, writer, composer, leader of prayer, celebrant and singer in the Jewish world